Saturday, March 3, 2012

What is Henna?

Henna is a natural dye that people use to decorate their skin. It can also be used as a hair dye. Henna comes from the henna plant. The leaves are dark green and oval shaped. It is picked, dried, than ground into a fine powder. It is than sifted to get all the stems out. It can be mixed with water or tea. When you apply it on the hand or hair, it gives it a dark orange color. Henna is temporary. It lasts about two to three weeks, depending on how much you wash the area. You can purchase henna anywhere; Internet or stores such as Middle Eastern or Indian stores carry it. Henna is very popular in India and the Middle East. They use it during weddings, holidays, and special occasions. My mother uses henna a lot. She uses it to dye her hair and hands. I hated it when I was a child. I didn't like when kids at school asked me about it. As I grew older, I got familiar with the different designs and techniques, and I began to like it. In many cultures henna is a form of art, and is a very important aspect.
                                                                                                                                
Henna Powder

No comments:

Post a Comment